Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Latest Pop-Culture Consumption

So, on the plate for review are about the two most different movies humanly imaginable, and both will probably be kind of brief, but let’s do this.

Shrek the Third

This was a perfectly serviceable installment of the Shrek franchise. It was by no means unfun, but definitely not as clever or as cute as the first two. Actually, the most fun parts are the parts that kind of glossed over. I’d watch a movie about the princess posse, and also one about the ugly stepsisters. Donkey was pretty funny, and Puss is a totally winsome character. The Shrek character didn’t seem to have the energy throughout that he did before, but that may be just what I saw. But overall, it’s a fun way to spend an afternoon. Frankly, though, I wish I’d paid matinee price instead of $9, but oh well.

Into Great Silence

I went and saw this last night with my friends Suzy and Dave. I actually didn’t stay all the way through it because I got a serious headache and the light was killing me. But the movie’s a German documentary about Carthusian monks. The Carthusians live very simple, quiet contemplative lives and the film shows it as just that. It’s startling how quiet the movie is, especially for the standard movie-goer. At one point, you spend about a minute listening to the snow falling. The movie was very peaceful and zen-like to watch, and it’s definitely something I want to see the rest of and probably own because it just gave me a nice, calm feeling. Also, it’s quite a compelling movie given the subject matter and the fact that very little happens. Anyway, if you’re into that kind of thing, check it out, it’s really good.

This weekend, I’m supposed to be seeing Knocked Up, which I’m stoked on. If it’s half as good as The Forty Year Old Virgin it’ll be a great popcorn flick.

Finally, in other pop-culture consumption news, I got The Office seasons 1 and 2 for my birthday. There is just some freaking killer acting on that show. Steve Carell is brilliant as Michael, and I’d forgotten how much of season 2 I watched through my fingers. The episode where he cooks his foot and Dwight gets a concussion is sheer genius. Also, the tête-à-tête between Pam and Jim, the flirtation, et cetera, is some of the best chemistry I’ve seen on TV. I’d not seen “The Booze Cruise” episode, and when Jim told the documentary filmers, “For the record, I’d save the receptionist,” my heart broke for him more than a little. And with The West Wing over, I can’t think of a better ensemble cast on network TV. How I Met Your Mother is a lot of fun, but this just feels more real. If you haven’t watched this show yet, please make it your summer mission to Netflix them, I highly doubt you’ll regret it.

Finally, a quick memo to the weather:

To Whom It May Concern:

It’s too hot for barely the beginning of July. Please take the wet towels off the planet and crank the air back down to the mid-70s or low 80s ASAP.

Cordially,
I Don’t Have Air in My Car, Please Give me an Effing Break

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That last part--WORD.