Monday, May 7, 2007

A Lovely Listy Book

Sometimes I suck with titles for these things.

So over the weekend I took the Amtrak up to Chicago and back. I spent four hours in Chicago and twelve hours total on trains. 8 hours up, 6 hours back. It sucked, sort of, but was also fun because I like trains and I got to read! It's been so long since I read for hours at a time. Generally I can only read for an hour or so at a time with stuff. (When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out, I will do nothing before I'm finished.) So Friday night I went to Borders to get a train read.

I got Five People Who Died During Sex: And 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists. Seriously, if you're traveling this summer and you like odd lists, pick it up. It was only $10 and it was so much fun! Here are some of the things I learned:
  • Alfred Hitchcock suffered from ovophobia—fear of eggs.
  • in 1930, Sears customers became enraged when the catalog was first printed on glossy, non-absorbent paper.
  • I forget the country, but this one country let some American missionaries send a whole bunch of Bibles over, and they were having a toilet paper shortage so they processed the Bibles for toilet paper, and you could still read some of the names. (I know, it's horrible, but it's also funny.)
  • James Garfield wouldn't have died when he got shot if people had just kept their grubby hands out of his wound. Ick!

It's very light reading and super fun if you like weird factoids. Highly recommend!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So funny! I want to borrow that!