Monday, February 12, 2007

Books a Man Has Given Me That Made Me Swear NEVER to Go on Another Date with Him EVER Again

Doppelganger over at 50 Books is doing lists of books this year. Huzzah! I love lists. See the subject line for today for the topic of the first list. Off we go.
  • The Kama Sutra. Dude? It's called subtlety. Get some.
  • Anything by Chuck Paluhniuk. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Paluhniuk. But Fight Club and such? Are pretty violent, messed-up books. If a guy gave me that, I'd have no choice but to wonder why, and as such would obsess and come to the conclusion that the guy was a Tyler Durden, and then I'd be bummed that he didn't look like Brad Pitt and I'd be paranoid, so... thanks for playing, we're done.
  • A Star Trek Book. Or Star Wars for that matter. Pretty much anything involving galactic civil war. I'm not a geek hater. My ex-boyfriend loves and works in comics for god's sake and I've been known to adore certain ones as well. Y The Last Man, for instance, is a great series, as is anything by Judd Winick and Jhonen Vasquez. I'll even watch the Star [insert subject] movies with you. But if you think I'm going to read that kind of stuff? Nope. Sorry!
  • The Catcher in the Rye. Look, I'm sure it's a great book. I've been told it is, but I read it and hated it, and if you give it to me, I'm going to assume you relate to Holden, and then I'll start to hate you. So thanks, but no thanks.

It would take a lot to be a deal-breaker, but I think I can say with confidence, those would definitely break the deal. What would yours be?

No comments: